- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
Confirmed: Jamie Vardy snubs Arsenal to sign 4-year Leicester deal
Leicester City have confirmed that Jamie Vardy has snubbed a £20m move to Arsenal after signing a new four-year contract extension with the Foxes.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past month, you’ll know that Arsenal have been strongly linked with a move for Vardy after agreeing to trigger his £20m buyout clause at the start of June.
We were then taken on a roller-coaster ride where it initially looked like the deal would be quickly wrapped up after the Daily Mail reported that Vardy had agreed terms over a three-year deal worth £120,000-a-week following talks with Arsene Wenger.
However, the deal soon stalled after Leicester made a last ditch attempt to persuade the 29-year-old to remain at the King Power after offering him an improved four-year contract with the club.
Vardy decided to head off to the Euro’s to mull over his future and leaks starting coming out from the England camp suggesting that the striker was leaning towards staying at Leicester.
Wenger then let slip on Japanese TV over the weekend that he had been told Vardy would be snubbing a move to Arsenal and this has now been confirmed by Leicester.
A statement on LCFC.com said:
Leicester City have today (Thursday) agreed with the representatives of Jamie Vardy to extend the England international’s contract with the Premier League champions for a further four years.
Both parties hope that this announcement will end recent speculation regarding Jamie’s future and confirm his long term commitment to Leicester City Football Club.
So there we have it. Vardy has turned down Arsenal to stay at Leicester City. While it’s fairly embarrassing for AFC to be rejected by Jamie fricken Vardy, I for one am relieved.
I’ve said from the very start [check my previous posts on the subject] that Vardy wouldn’t suit our style of play. He’s had one excellent season in a team that was set-up to play to his strengths, hitting teams on the break to exploit his pace.
Arsenal play the exact opposite to Leicester. Vardy wouldn’t have the space in which to work and I personally didn’t think he would have been a success here, so I’m glad we haven’t signed him.
The good news is that Wenger is in the market for a striker, so let’s now go after a proper top class name who WILL suit our style of play….