- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
- Team news: Arsenal duo ruled out but key quartet return for Swansea
- Arsenal doing battle with Spurs to sign German attacker – reports
Odds slashed on Arsenal signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
According to the Express, German bookmaker bwin has been forced to slash the odds on Arsenal signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang after a flurry of bets backing the Borussia Dortmund hitman to move to the Emirates this summer.
Aubameyang has become one of the best strikers in world football after scoring an incredible 39 goals in 49 appearances in all competitions for Borussia Dortmund last season.
That stunning form has led to speculation that the Gabon international could be on the move this summer and Arsenal have been listed in the media among the clubs who are interested in luring him away from Germany.
Until now, our prime target has been Jamie Vardy but Leicester City confirmed today that the England international has turned his back on a proposed £20m move to Arsenal to sign a new four-year deal at the King Power.
It’s left Arsene Wenger needing to turn his attention to alternative targets and once again speculation has resurfaced linking us with a move for Aubameyang.
It seems some big bettors believe the boss is going to go all out to lure the 27-year-old to north London as German bookmaker bwin have been forced to slash their odds on Aubameyang joining Arsenal from 12/1 to just 4/1 following a flurry of bets.
Glenn Woodage, bookmaker at bwin, is quoted by the Express as saying:
“With Vardy turning his nose up at Arsenal to remain at Leicester City, the pressure’s on Wenger to deliver his first world class striker since Robin van Persie.
“Aubameyang’s move to City is stalling and Arsenal are good value to swoop in and snatch him from beneath Guardiola’s nose and the odds agree.”
Aubameyang would be my ‘dream’ striker as he’d be an absolute beast at Arsenal. He has ridiculous pace, is big and strong so would be able to lead the line up front and he obviously knows where the goal is.
I’d absolutely love to see Arsene make a real statement and splash out on the Gabon ace and hopefully those placing bets on that happening have some inside information.
However, I just don’t see it happening. The press suggest Dortmund want around £65m [source: Express] and while we could have that money available if we wanted, I don’t see Wenger paying that kind of price for one player. Plus, the likes of Man City and Real Madrid have been linked with the striker so no doubt they’d blow us away if it got in to a bidding war.
I drool at the thought of Aubameyang playing ahead of Ozil and Sanchez next season but sadly I think we’ll see these hopeful punters losing their bets.