- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Arsenal agree personal terms with Chelsea target Romelu Lukaku
According to Italian journalist Emanuele Giulianelli, Arsenal are set to table a formal offer to Everton after agreeing personal terms with Chelsea target Romelu Lukaku.
Arsene Wenger is in the market for a new striker after Leicester City confirmed yesterday that Jamie Vardy has snubbed his proposed move to the Emirates in favour of signing a new deal at the King Power.
The boss has been mulling over alternative targets and the Daily Star reported earlier this week that we had opened talks over a potential deal to sign Lukaku.
It appears those talks have been positive as Italian journalist Emanuele Giulianelli has taken to Twitter today to claim that Arsenal have now agreed personal terms with the 23-year-old striker.
Giulianelli - who works for Italian outlet Gazzetta dello Sport among others – also suggests that Chelsea are pushing hard to re-sign Lukaku but Arsenal are now set to offer a formal bid to Everton after coming to an agreement with the player.
Despite Chelsea pressing, Arsenal have agreed personal terms with Lukaku. An offer will be submitted.
— Emanuele Giulianelli (@EmaGiulianelli) June 24, 2016
We’ll have to wait and see how much truth there is behind these reports as we should probably take them with a pinch of salt for now as there is so much speculation flying around these days, but Lukaku would be a great signing if we could pull it off.
I don’t think he’s the finished article yet but the Belgian striker is big, strong, powerful, fast, is a decent finisher and importantly he has vast experience in the Premier League, so he has the potential to become a world class hitman.
Lukaku scored 25 goals for a poor Everton side last season and I personally think he’d be a much better fit at Arsenal than Vardy, however, even if these reports of personal terms being agreed are accurate, we will still find it tough to agree a fee with the Toffees.
Everton have recently been taken over by a new billionaire owner so they are no longer the cash-strapped club they once were, and I think we’ll see them demanding upward of £45m-£50m for him.
He’s probably not worth that amount yet but we’re going to have to pay big money for a top class striker and at 23, Lukaku still has the time left to improve even further, so I’d love to see Wenger push the boat out to bring him to North London.