- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
Arsenal make £24m hitman new key target, Liverpool & Spurs also keen
According to a report in Portuguese newspaper O Jogo, Arsenal have made Sporting Lisbon striker Islam Slimani our new prime striker target but we could face competition from the likes of Spurs and Liverpool.
Arsene Wenger has been forced to turn to alternative targets in his search for a new striker after Jamie Vardy snubbed his move to the Emirates by agreeing a new contract with Leicester City.
While names such as Benzema, Aubameyang and Lukaku have been linked in the media, O Jogo claims that Wenger has made Sporting Lisbon hitman Islam Slimani his new priority.
However, we could face plenty of competition as the Portuguese outlet suggest that Spurs, Liverpool and Leicester are also showing an interest while Atletico Madrid and Lazio are believed to be keeping tabs on the striker.
No potential transfer fee is mentioned in the report but the Mirror claimed earlier this month that the striker has a £24m (€30m) buyout clause in his contract and they also mentioned that Arsenal were interested, so there could be some truth in this.
Slimani shot to prominence after scorning 31 goals in 46 games for Sporting last season while he’s also netted 23 goals in 43 appearances for Algeria at international level, so he certainly knows where the goal is.
However, the 27-year-old is yet to prove himself in any top league as it’s one thing scoring 31 goals in Portugal but it’s quite another doing it in the Premier League, so I hope Wenger will think twice about pushing too hard for Slimani’s signature this summer.
With reports earlier today claiming we’ve agreed personal terms with Lukaku, I pray they are true and these Slimani rumours are just idle speculation. Lukaku would be an excellent signing and I’d only like to see us move for Slimani as a last resort.