- Arsenal boss lining-up big-money offer for Serie A hitman
- Arsenal star commits future to club after agreeing new contract
- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
Player in London undergoing Arsenal medical – will sign 4-year deal
According to the Mirror, Lucas Perez is now in London undergoing his medical with Arsenal ahead of his £17m move from Deportivo La Coruna.
News broke late on Wednesday night that we’d hijacked Everton’s deal to sign the 27-year-old. Everything was agreed for Lucas to head to Goodison Park but we swooped in at the last minute and the players head was turned.
After agreeing to meet the striker’s £17m buyout clause, the Mirror claim our first official offer was rejected because we asked to pay it over two installments but our subsequent offer was finally accepted and the deal was on.
Goal reported last night that Lucas was en route to London to finalise the move and the Mirror suggest that striker arrived late on Thursday night and is undergoing his medical with the club today before signing a four-year contract.
The newspaper says that Wenger and his scouts have been tracking the Spaniard for some time but we rejected the chance to sign him last month. A lot has been made of this with some papers claiming this is a ‘panic buy’.
However, I really don’t see what the big deal is. A month ago, Wenger was probably still working on and hoping to pull off a major striker signing [Griezmann, Lewandowski, etc] hence why he turned down the chance to sign Lucas.
With just a few days left until the window shuts, the chances are we’ve been unable to pull off an ambitious move for a marquee striker so have had to settle for a back-up option like Lucas – a player we’ve been scouting for ages.
This is completely normal and it’s how things are supposed to work. You go for your prime target and if you miss out, move on to plan B. What’s the big deal? It’s certainly not ‘panic buying’.
Anyway, it looks like Lucas is set to become an Arsenal player and the deal should be wrapped-up within the coming hours. Although knowing us, we will drag it out so I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t announced until over the weekend.