- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
Defender having Arsenal medical, will sign 5-year deal [Sky Sports]
According to Sky Sports News, Shkodran Mustafi has flown in to London to undergo his medical with Arsenal today after we agreed a deal worth up to £35m with Valencia.
Arsene Wenger has been scouring the market trying to land a new centre-back after losing both Gabriel and Per Mertesacker to serious injury in pre-season and Mustafi emerged as our top target.
We’ve been negotiating with Valencia for some time but finally found a breakthrough on Thursday with Sky Sports claiming that we’ve agreed a fee for the German international that could rise to £35m.
The exact structure of the deal isn’t disclosed by the news outlet but I’ve seen suggestions that we’ll be paying around £28m up front with a further £7m coming in additional add ons, but this is yet to be verified.
However, Sky Sports do say that Mustafi has travelled to London today to undergo his medical and as long as there are no late complications, he will sign a five-year deal with Arsenal.
It’s going to be a busy day in North London as we’re also on the verge of completing a £17m deal to sign Lucas Perez from Deportivo, with the Spanish striker also undergoing his medical with the club today.
The news comes after Wenger admitted at his pre-match press conference on Friday morning that we’re closing in on deals for Lucas and Mustafi, saying he was ‘99% confident’ he’d get the deals done before the end of the month.
We’ll have to wait and see when the transfers are officially announced but knowing Arsenal, we’ll drag them out for as long as possible so we could see something come out over the weekend.
Obviously I’d have liked to see us get these deals done before the start of the new season but the important thing is we’re about to sign a striker and defender which is the minimum we needed if we’re to be competitive this year.