- Arsenal boss lining-up big-money offer for Serie A hitman
- Arsenal star commits future to club after agreeing new contract
- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
Defender having Arsenal medical, will sign 5-year deal [Sky Sports]
According to Sky Sports News, Shkodran Mustafi has flown in to London to undergo his medical with Arsenal today after we agreed a deal worth up to £35m with Valencia.
Arsene Wenger has been scouring the market trying to land a new centre-back after losing both Gabriel and Per Mertesacker to serious injury in pre-season and Mustafi emerged as our top target.
We’ve been negotiating with Valencia for some time but finally found a breakthrough on Thursday with Sky Sports claiming that we’ve agreed a fee for the German international that could rise to £35m.
The exact structure of the deal isn’t disclosed by the news outlet but I’ve seen suggestions that we’ll be paying around £28m up front with a further £7m coming in additional add ons, but this is yet to be verified.
However, Sky Sports do say that Mustafi has travelled to London today to undergo his medical and as long as there are no late complications, he will sign a five-year deal with Arsenal.
It’s going to be a busy day in North London as we’re also on the verge of completing a £17m deal to sign Lucas Perez from Deportivo, with the Spanish striker also undergoing his medical with the club today.
The news comes after Wenger admitted at his pre-match press conference on Friday morning that we’re closing in on deals for Lucas and Mustafi, saying he was ’99% confident’ he’d get the deals done before the end of the month.
We’ll have to wait and see when the transfers are officially announced but knowing Arsenal, we’ll drag them out for as long as possible so we could see something come out over the weekend.
Obviously I’d have liked to see us get these deals done before the start of the new season but the important thing is we’re about to sign a striker and defender which is the minimum we needed if we’re to be competitive this year.