- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Arsenal open talks over deal for £25m Serie A midfielder – report
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal have made contact with Inter Milan to discuss a possible deal to sign £25m-rated midfielder Marcelo Brozovic this summer.
The Croatian international has long been linked with a move to the Emirates and the newspaper suggests Arsene Wenger is hoping to finally land him this summer despite already bringing in Swiss midfielder Granit Xhaka.
Brozovic joined Inter on an initial 18-month loan deal from Dinamo Zagreb but the move was made permanent during the January transfer window at the request of boss Roberto Mancini.
The 23-year-old impressed last season after helping the Milan giants secure a top four finish but it looks like his potential has caught the eye of Wenger with the Express reporting earlier this month that we are showing a keen interest in signing the midfielder.
It appears we’ve now formalised that interest as the Mirror are citing a report coming from Gazetta dello Sport that claims Arsenal have opened talks with Inter to try and thrash out a deal for Brzovic’s signature.
However, the newspaper suggests that Arsenal have asked the Italian outfit to lower their £25m (€30m) asking price but Inter chiefs have made it clear they aren’t prepared to do so, leaving any potential deal hanging in the balance.
I’m not sure what to make of this report as central midfield is probably the last area we need to strengthen with Xhaka set to battle it out with Jack Wilshere, Santi Cazorla, Aaron Ramsey, Mohamed Elneny and Francis Coquelin for two central midfield positions next season.
So I can’t for the life of me understand why Wenger would want to spend over £20m on Brozovic unless one of our current lot was to be sold. The only one of the six names listed above that I could see leaving would be Coquelin and he’s far more of a defensive midfielder than Brozovic so any move for the Croatian just doesn’t make sense.
So despite these reports, I don’t think anything will come of these Brozovic rumours. And besides, Wenger should really be saving is money to spend on a top class striker and new centre-back!