- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
Arsenal see approach for German defender knocked back – report
Arsenal have seen their approach for Mattias Ginter knocked back by Borussia Dortmund with the Germans insisting the defender won’t be sold this summer, according to the Mirror.
Arsene Wenger recently signed highly-rated England U21 international centre-back Rob Holding from Bolton Wanderers but the 20-year-old lacks experience at the top level and is regarded as one for the future.
Therefore, speculation suggests that Arsenal remain in the market for a more established central defender as Wenger looks to bring in a top class partner for Laurent Koscielny this summer.
Mattias Ginter has been linked with a move to the Emirates for some time and the rumours have resurfaced in recent days but the Mirror claim that Dortmund have knocked back our approach for the German international.
Manager Thomas Tuchel has confirmed interest from English clubs but insists that Ginter wont be leaving the Westfalenstadion any time soon. He’s quoted as saying by the Mirror:
“With Ginter, I think everything is said, German clubs wanted to sign him and now English clubs want to sign him.
“I don’t know if everything is true or it is just rumours but we made our point clear – Matthias is our player and stays our player.”
Ginter is one of the best young defenders in European football so I would love to see him come to the Emirates this summer but sadly it looks like our pursuit is set to end in disappointment.
I’m sure Dortmund may be tempted to cash-in if we offered them crazy money but that’s not in Arsene’s DNA so I think the boss will have to look elsewhere in his search for another centre-back.
It’s going to be interesting to see how things develop on the centre-back front as I personally think Wenger won’t make any further moves until one of our current players leave the club.
We now have five centre-back’s on the books [Holding, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gabriel and Chambers] so IF Arsene does want another established defender, then I think we’ll see Chambers head out on loan over the coming weeks.