- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
- Team news: Arsenal duo ruled out but key quartet return for Swansea
- Arsenal doing battle with Spurs to sign German attacker – reports
Arsenal handed major boost in pursuit of want-away £35m attacker
According to the Mirror, Arsenal have been handed a major boost in the pursuit of Miyad Mahrez after Barcelona ruled out a swoop for the £35m-rated Leicester attacker.
Mahrez became one of the most sought-after players of the summer transfer window after scoring 17 goals to fire Leicester to a shock Premier League title win last season.
Reports in the Sun over the weekend claimed that Arsenal were ready to battle-it-out with Barcelona after the Algerian international has snubbed a contract extension and made it clear he wants to leave the King Power this summer.
However, it looks as though we’ve been handed a major boost as the Mirror are now reporting that the Catalan giants have ruled themselves out of the running with club sources telling the newspaper they never had any serious interest in signing Mahrez.
Obviously that is excellent news for Arsenal as I’m sure the 25-year-old would have been tempted to join the Spanish outfit had they put forward an offer for his services this summer.
I’d love to see Arsene Wenger make a real effort to sign Mahrez now as an attacking trio of Sanchez, Ozil and Mahrez is a mouth-watering prospect and a match for practically any side in Europe.
With Theo Walcott’s future at the club uncertain after he lost his place last year, we could sell the England international for around £25m-£30m and use the money to land Mahrez, with the Mirror suggesting Leicester would sell for £35m.
However, while Barca may not be in the race, the newspaper does say that Chelsea and Manchester City are interested in Mahrez, so we’ll still face stiff competition for his signature.