- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Arsenal lining-up bid for German winger – reports
According to Bild via the Express, Arsenal are lining-up a bid for highly-rated Hoffenheim winger Philipp Ochs this summer after impressing club scouts.
The 19-year-old has been with Hoffenheim his entire career having progressed through their youth ranks before breaking in to the first team set-up last year where he made 13 appearances.
Ochs caught the eye of Arsenal representatives during the Under-19 European Championships last month after he netted a hat-trick for Germany against Portugal.
It seems our scouts have persuaded Arsene Wenger he’s worth bringing to the club as the Express are now citing a report coming from Bild that claims we’re lining-up a formal bid for the teenager.
However, it appears we may face stiff competition for his signature as the wingers agent, Arthur Beck, recently admitted that Ochs is attracting plenty of interest but he refused to speculate over where he may end up.
“Philipp has attracted attention with his strong performances – not only from the European Championships,” Beck is quoted as saying by the Express
“But with any speculation, we have never participated, and we will continue not to do so.”
The Express claim that Hoffenheim are fully aware of the players potential so won’t let him leave the club on the cheap and it looks as though Arsenal have some persuading to do as their manager, Julian Nagelsmann, insists the Bundesliga club don’t want to sell.
“We will not give him away… we do not want to sell Philipp.” Nagelsmann is quoted as saying by the Express
Ochs has two years remaining on his contract but if he refuses to sign a new deal then Hoffenheim may be forced to cash-in this summer as his value will drop considerably next summer when he’ll have just 12 months remaining on his contract.
The highly-rated teenager is predominantly a left-winger but he can play anywhere across the front three positions so he’d certainly give Wenger plenty of options in the final third if he does end up coming to the Emirates.
Obviously Ochs isn’t the big-name signing fans are craving but it’s important we also look to the future and the German youth international is one of the most talented young players in German football, so he could be a decent player to add to the squad this summer.