- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
Great News! Wenger Confirms Defensive Midfielder Deal Is Close
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Francis Coquelin is “99% certain” to sign a new contract and stay at the club.
Coquelin has enjoyed a meteoric rise over the past month. The Frenchman was on the verge of leaving the club when his contract expires at the end of the season having failed to make any real impact since joining in 2008.
However, a twist of fate saw him recalled from his loan spell at Charlton in late December as he was needed as cover in midfield with Flamini, Wilshere and Arteta all out injured.
It’s safe to say Coquelin has taken his opportunity with both hands as he’s been hugely impressive in the defensive midfield role, with the 23-year-old earning special praise for his magnificent display during our 2-0 win at Man City.
Understandably, with the player showing such fine promise, thoughts have quickly turned to tying him down to a new contract and Arsene revealed last week that the club had entered talks with the midfielders agent.
Media reports earlier this week suggested that Coquelin was stalling on signing a new deal until he had assurances from the boss that he’d still be a regular once Jack Wilshere returns from injury next month.
It seems Arsene has been able to reassure Le Coq that he’s firmly in his plans as the boss told reporters this morning that the player is on the verge of penning an extension.
“On Coquelin, it’s 99% he will stay here.”
Let’s hope this deal is tied-up quickly and it would be a real shame to see Coquelin leave the club for nothing in the summer just as he’s starting to show us what he’s really capable of.
I’m a huge fan of the Frenchman’s and feel he has all the attributes needed to be a top player. Only time will tell if he’s the long-term answer to our defensive midfield problems, but it looks as though he’s going to be heavily involved during the second half of the season as Arsene has confirmed he’s unlikely to bring in any more signings this month.