- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Agent: “Shkodran and Arsenal have agreed terms” ahead of £30m move
The agent of Shkodran Mustafi claims the defender has agreed terms to join Arsenal ahead of a potential £30m move from Valencia, according to the Mirror.
Arsene Wenger has seemingly made the German international his top target as he looks to bring in another centre-back before the start of the Premier League season this weekend.
With Gabriel ruled out for up to eight weeks and Per Mertesacker sidelined until 2017, we are short of experienced options at the back and Mustafi looks to be the man Wenger wants to partner Laurent Koscielny.
Various news outlets have reported over the past couple of weeks that we’ve been in talks with Valencia over a potential deal but it looks like we have now agreed terms with the defender.
Mustafi’s agent, Ali Bulut, has been quoted in the Mirror as saying that we’ve agreed terms over the move but we’re still negotiating a transfer fee with Valencia.
“Shkodran and Arsenal have agreed terms. There are only the terms to be agreed on a transfer fee.”
The 24-year-old’s buyout clause is set at around £42m but the Mirror claim Valencia will do business at £30m – although the Times reported earlier today that we are closing in on a deal nearer £20m.
We’ll have to wait and see what happens but there should be big developments over the coming hours as we’ll need to get Mustafi registered with the FA by 12 noon on Friday if he’s to be eligible to face Liverpool this weekend.
That appears highly unlikely unless we can agree a fee tonight and rush Mustafi through his medical on Friday morning, so I’d personally be surprised if the German is available on Sunday.
Either way, it looks as though we’re finally closing in on the signing of a top class defender and his arrival can’t come soon enough given the problems we’ve got at centre-back.
Koscielny may have to be rushed back to face Liverpool despite only returning to pre-season training this week and he’s likely to be partnered by either Rob Holding or Calum Chambers.