- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Attacker determined to force move after Arsenal table £43m bid
Arsenal pursuit of Riyad Mahrez has taken another twist with L’Equipe reporting that we’ve tabled an improved offer worth £43m and the attacker is understood to be determined to force a move to north London.
The Algerian international has been strongly linked with Arsenal in recent weeks with Eurosport FR reporting last month that the attacker had spoken directly with Arsene Wenger about a potential move.
We’ve then had a variety of conflicting reports surrounding Mahrez’s future before the Independent claimed yesterday that we were ready to put in an improved offer after seeing our opening £30m bid rejected by Leicester.
It appears that fresh bid has now gone in as the usually reliable L’Equipe are claiming that Arsenal have submitted a £43m offer that will see us pay £35m up front with a further £8m coming in add ons.
The French newspaper says that Mahrez is determined to join Arsenal and is now prepared to force his way out of Leicester if necessary after rejecting their latest contract extension offer.
These claims are supported by Get French Football, who cite a report from French outlet RMC that claims Arsenal have made an improved offer for Mahrez and the player is keen to complete a move to the Emirates.
However, before we get too excited, the reports coming out of France are in complete contrast to what the Guardian is claiming here in England, as they believe that Mahrez has agreed to stay at Leicester following fresh talks on Wednesday.
If you ask me, it appears that the French media are being fed information by Mahrez’s agent while the Guardian will be getting their news directly from Leicester Football Club.
Both sides have an agenda as the agent could either be trying to force a move to Arsenal or get Mahrez a better deal from Leicester. While the Foxes could be leaking false information to squeeze a better price out of Arsenal or in fact be telling the truth and that Mahrez has agreed to stay.
Who knows what’s going on, all we can do is report the information that’s out there and it’s up to the individual to believe what they want.
I personally think there is definitely something going on but I’m just not convinced Mahrez is Wenger’s priority right now. We need a centre-back asap and thankfully a deal for Mustafi looks close, but I’d rather see us spend big on a striker than pursue Mahrez.