- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Striker ‘will almost certainly’ join Arsenal for £42m + player deal
Sky Sports News reporter Kaveh Solhekol claims that an official Napoli radio station has said Gonzalo Higuain will ‘almost certainly’ join Arsenal in a £42m (€50m) deal that will see Olivier Giroud head to Napoli in the opposite direction.
Arsene Wenger is desperately trying to land another striker after missing out on Jamie Vardy and Higuain is one in a long list of players who’ve been linked in recent weeks.
Italian outlet Calciomercato claimed last week that Arsenal were ready to table an offer that would see us pay around £42m in cash plus offer Giroud in exchange for Higuain’s signature this summer.
We’ve read various further reports over the past few days with some suggesting that we’ve already agreed personal terms with the striker while the most recent reports indicated that Higuain had asked to leave Npaoli after speaking directly with Wenger.
Now, Sky Sports News reporter Kaveh Solhekol has taken to Twitter to cite Napoli’s official radio station as saying that Higuain will ‘almost certainly’ head to Arsenal for £42m (€50m) with Giroud going in the opposite direction.
Presenter on official Napoli radio station says Gonzalo Higuain “will almost certainly join Arsenal for €50m plus Olivier Giroud”
— Kaveh Solhekol (@SkyKaveh) July 16, 2016
The Argentinean international has already indicated that he won’t be signing a new deal and the Serie A outfit would rather do business with us than rivals Juventus, so it appears a deal could now be on the cards.
There is no doubt Higuain would be a sensational signing as he’s one of the most prolific strikers in European football and he proved that once again last season after scoring 36 goals in just 35 games for Napoli.
The 28-year-old leading the line up front with the likes of Ozil and Sanchez in support is a mouthwatering prospect. However, I really don’t see the sense in letting Giroud go as part of the deal.
With Welbeck out injured for most of next season we need to add a striker to the squad, not simply replace Giroud. If we just swap Higuain/Giroud, sure we have a better first team but we’d still be in the same position of having a lack of options up front.
So while I’d love to see Higuain join the club, I’d rather it was a straight cash deal and we kept hold of Olivier.