- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
Striker pleads for Arsenal move after holding talks with Wenger
According to the Daily Star, Gonzalo Higuain has pleaded with Napoli to let him join Arsenal after holding talks directly with Arsene Wenger about a move to north London.
We’re desperately trying to bring in another striker this summer after missing out on Jamie Vardy and all the talk in recent days has centered around our reported interest in Higuain.
There has been various stories flying around in British and Italian media but things got serious when Calciomercato reported earlier this week that Arsenal were prepared to offer Napoli £42.6m plus Olivier Giroud in exchange for Higuain’s signature.
We then saw reports that Wenger had backed out of the deal after the story had been leaked to the press, some papers suggested we’d agreed personal terms with the striker and then came rumours that Juventus are ready to hijack our move.
Who knows what to believe but the latest from the Daily Star is that Higuain has now asked Napoli to let him join Arsenal after Wenger personally phoned the striker to try and persuade him to move to the Emirates.
The newspaper says that Napoli want £66.7m for the 28-year-old but Wenger is hoping to agree a deal at nearer £50m while personal terms with Higuain aren’t thought to be a problem.
It’s difficult to how much truth there is behind these latest reports and as always I’d urge you take them with a pinch of salt but needless to say I’d love to see Arsenal sign Higuain this summer.
He’s one of the best strikers in Europe and proved it again after scoring 36 goals in 35 games for Napoli last season – which was a new Serie A record – and we could certainly do with that kind of threat in the final third. Could you imagine how many goals he would score with Ozil and Sanchez supporting him?
Higuain has already confirmed he won’t be signing a new contract and is keen to leave, however, any deal is going to be extremely difficult to pull off as Napoli are always tough negotiators and I fear we’re not going to be willing to match their valuation.