- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal handed major boost as £30m attacker decides he wants move
It looks like Arsenal’s pursuit of Riyad Mahrez is back on as the Sun claim the £30m-rated attacker wants to leave Leicester City and move to a bigger club this summer.
Mahrez was strongly linked with a move to the Emirates at the very start of the summer after Arsene Wenger had reportedly made the Algerian international a key transfer target.
It was easy to understand why as the 25-year-old enjoyed a sensational campaign last year with his 17 goals and 10 assists playing a key role in Leicester winning a shock Premier League title.
Mahrez rightly won the PFA Player of the Year Award and there were even reports from Italy that suggested we’d seen an opening £25m rejected by the Foxes – who have been desperately trying to persuade him to stay at the King Power.
The rumours went quiet in recent weeks as Wenger turned his attention to trying to buy a striker, however, the speculation has resurfaced today as the Sun claim that Mahrez has now rejected Leicester’s new contract and made it clear he wants to leave.
With N’Golo Kante set for a move to Chelsea, it seems Mahrez has decided he also wants to jump ship and he’ll surely never get a better chance to join one of Europe’s big-guns.
The Sun claim that Arsenal are set to renew our interest but could face competition from Barcelona and PSG, while they feel it would take an offer of at least £30m to persuade Leicester in to a sale.
If Mahrez does want to leave, then it’s a no-brainer. We have to do all we can to bring him to north London. Theo Walcott’s future is in doubt and Mahrez would be the perfect replacement to play on the right side of attack along with Ozil and Sanchez.
That attacking three behind a top class striker would be a match for anyone, so I think we should go straight in and test Leicester’s resolve with a £30m bid. No messing about with this one Arsene, just do everything you can to get a deal done.
We could probably still get around £25m-£30m for Walcott so we wouldn’t be too out-of-pocket and we’d still have plenty left to buy a striker and centre-back. Then we’d finally have a title-winning squad.