- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal target Higuain has medical with Juve ahead of £78m move
It looks like Arsenal have missed out on yet another transfer target as Gianluca Di Marzio are reporting that Gonzalo Higuain has undergone his medical ahead of a £78m move to Juventus.
Arsene Wenger is desperately trying to buy a top class striker this summer after missing out on Jamie Vardy and Higuain has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in recent weeks.
A local radio station in Napoli reported last week that the Argentinean international was ‘almost certain’ to join Arsenal in a £42m deal that would also see Olivier Giroud head in the opposite direction.
However, once again it looks like we’ve missed out as Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio claims that Higuain completed a medical with Juventus in Madrid on Friday after agreeing terms over a four-year deal worth around £6m per season.
The report says Juve will now trigger the 28-year-old’s €94m (£78m) release clause this weekend meaning Higuain is set to move to Turin over the coming days. Sky Sports News are also carrying a similar story.
— Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) July 23, 2016
Sigh. So another striker has slipped through our fingers and Wenger is now going to have to move on to another target. Icardi and Lacazette are two names being linked at present but neither is in the same class as Higuain.
The former Real Madrid hitman is one of the best strikers in Europe and proved it again after scoring 36 goals in just 35 games last season – which set a new Serie A record.
I’m gutted we’ve missed out as I think he’d have been a sensational signing for Arsenal but the key thing is Arsene now needs to act fast to land one of his other targets.
The season kicks off in three weeks and with Giroud not expected to be available to face Liverpool, it looks like Chuna Akpom may have to start at this rate!