- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal focussing on potential £27.5m deal for 32-assist attacker
According to ESPN, Arsenal do have an interest in Riyah Mahrez but are focussing their attention on trying to lure Borussia Dortmund attacker Henrikh Mkhitaryan to the Emirates.
As we reported earlier, the Sun claimed today that Arsenal were in talks with Leicester City over a sensational double deal for Mahrez as well as Jamie Vardy – who appears to be stalling over his proposed £20m switch.
However, while ESPN confirm we do have an interest in signing Mahrez, they say we’ll only make a move if we fail in our attempts to lure Henrikh Mkhitaryan away from Borussia Dortmund this summer.
Apparently sources close to Arsenal have revealed to the news outlet that while Wenger is keeping tabs on the Premier League’s PFA Player of the Year his priority is to land Mkhitaryan.
The Armenian international has just enjoyed the best season of his career having scored 23 goals and provided an incredible 32 assists for Dortmund but his future is in doubt as he only has one year remaining on his contract and has refused to sign an extension.
Arsenal are among the clubs who’ve been strongly linked with a move for the 27-year-old and ESPN suggest that Dortmund will agree to sell for around £27.5m if he doesn’t commit his future to the club soon.
Chelsea have also been credited with an interest in Mkhitaryan but the Sun reported over the weekend that the player favours a move to the Emirates if he does end up coming to the Premier League.
Therefore, it appears we’re well placed to land Mkhitaryan this summer and I think he’d be a sensational signing for the club. He’s capable of playing anywhere across the attacking positions but has mainly been used on the wing by Dortmund so he’d give Arsene plenty of options.
Should we manage to land him, I think it would spell the end of Theo Walcott’s career in North London with the England international tipped to leave after losing his place.
With Xhaka already on board, if we could sign Vardy, Mkhitaryan, a new left-back to replace Gibbs if he goes and a commanding centre-back, I think we’d finally have a squad capable of challenging for top honours next season.
Let’s hope Wenger is able to deliver….he’s certainly made an encouraging start to his summer transfer business.