- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal in talks over double swoop for 41-goal pair – reports
According to the Sun, Arsenal are in talks with Leicester City over a sensational double swoop for Jamie Vardy AND Riyad Mahrez.
All the talk over the last few days has centered around Vardy with the Mirror reporting yesterday that the 29-year-old has agreed terms over a four-year deal worth £100,000-a-week after holding talks with Arsene Wenger on Friday.
The newspaper says we’ve already agreed to trigger the strikers £20m release clause and Vardy was supposedly scheduled to take his medical on Sunday, so we’re just waiting for official confirmation that the move will go through.
However, if losing their top scorer from last season isn’t bad enough it looks as though Leicester could also lose their second top scorer, and player of the year, too.
That’s because the Sun claim that Arsenal are also in talks with the Foxes over a stunning deal to sign Mahrez after learning that he too has a relatively low release clause in his contract – although they don’t state precisely how much it’s worth.
We’ve been strongly linked with Mahrez in the last few months but it seems Arsene has decided to make his interest formal as he looks to bring in the Premier League champions two key attackers this summer.
Vardy plundered 24 goals while Mahrez hit 17 to fire the Foxes to the title last season but both could now be lining-up alongside each other at the Emirates next season, if this double swoop comes off.
Vardy is needed after we lost Danny Welbeck to a serious knee injury but I have the feeling that if we sign Mahrez, it will mean the end of Theo Walcott’s time at Arsenal.
The attacker fell out-of-favour during the second half of last season and has been linked with the likes of West Ham and Liverpool this summer so I think we’ll see him leave should Mahrez arrive.