- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
- Arsenal ready to snap-up Barca attacker for £25m [Times]
- Arsenal offer defender lucrative contract ahead of summer move
- Arsenal boss offers update on Sanchez & Ozil contract situations
- Arsenal suffer huge injury blow, star to miss crucial games
- International star responds to Arsenal move reports
- [Photos] Arsenal star trains despite ligament injury fears
Arsenal boss determined to complete £40m double swoop – report
According to the Sun, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is determined to pull off a sensational £40m double raid on Leicester City for Jamie Vardy and N’Golo Kante.
Our pursuit of Vardy is turning in to a saga as we’re still waiting for official confirmation [at the time of writing] as to whether he’ll be joining Arsenal or signing a new deal with Leicester.
The Mirror reported over the weekend that the 29-year-old had agreed personal terms over a four-year deal worth £100,000-a-week after holding face-to-face talks with Wenger on Friday.
The Evening Standard are reporting today that while Arsenal have met the 24-goal hitman’s £20m release clause, no medical took place on Sunday despite reports to the contrary as Vardy asked for more time to mull over his future after Leicester made a last ditch attempt to keep him.
However, the Sun claim that Wenger is ‘determined’ to land the former Fleetwood Town striker and wants to make it a sensational double swoop on the Leicester with N’Golo Kante also believed to be on his radar.
We’ve been strongly linked with Kante in recent months but the rumours subsided after we signed Granit Xhaka. However, the Sun seems to think that Wenger still wants to sign the French international and is willing to meet his £20m release clause making it a £40m double deal for the Foxes duo.
We aren’t the only ones interested as the newspaper says that Chelsea have opened talks over a potential deal while PSG are also showing a keen interest in taking Kante to Ligue 1.
I’m a huge fan of Kante but it’s difficult to believe that Wenger wants to sign the 25-year-old following the arrival of Xhaka unless one of our current crop of midfielders is set to leave this summer.
At the moment, we have six top class central midfielders in Xhaka, Coquelin, Wilshere, Cazorla, Elneny and Wilshere all vying for two spots, so there is no need to spend another £20m on Kante unless someone is going.
The most likely could be Coquelin as he plays in the same defensive midfield role as Kante but there haven’t been any reports linking him with a move anytime soon, so it’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
I personally don’t think we’ll see Kante come to Arsenal but if we’re looking to make a double swoop on Leicester, I’d prefer it was for Vardy and Mahrez!