- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
Arsenal Hold Talks With Agent Of £22m-Rated Star – Reports
There appears to have been some developments over Arsenal’s interest in Ilkay Gundogan with reports suggesting that we’ve now held talks with the midfielder’s agent about a potential summer move.
Borussia Dortmund confirmed earlier this month that Gundogan has decided not to extend his contract at the club and with just one year remaining on his current deal, the player is expected to be sold this summer.
Arsenal have been strongly linked with the 24-year-old in recent months and reports have claimed that we’ve already held talks with Dortmund over a potential £22m deal.
However, it seems we’ve taken things a step further with the Daily Mail reporting that we’ve now held formal talks with his agent Irfay Gundogan – who is also his father.
No formal offer has been made to Dortmund at this stage but if this report is accurate then it looks like we do have concrete interest in bringing Gundogan to the Emirates this summer.
Manchester United and Manchester City are also keeping a close eye on the players situation but are believed to have concerns over his injury record, with the German international only recently returning from over a year out with a long-standing back injury.
We’ll have to wait and see if either of those two clubs make their interest official but the Mail seem to think our main competition at this stage will come from Atletico Madrid.
A new central midfielder is a key priority for Arsene Wenger this summer and I’ve said for many months that my personal choice would be Morgan Schneiderlin, but Gundogan would be a great alternative if we don’t manage to sign the Southampton man.