- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Arsenal Hold Formal Talks Over Deal For German International
According to German newspaper Bild, Arsenal have held ‘concrete discussions’ about a potential deal for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Ilkay Gundogan.
The German international has long been linked with a move to the Emirates but a long-term back injury that kept him out for over a year saw any hopes of a move dashed.
However, he’s now back to full fitness and it seems Arsene Wenger has renewed his interest as German publication Bild claims we’ve held ‘concrete discussions’ over a possible deal.
The paper also suggests that Man City are interested, so we could face stiff competition, but these reports come shortly after the Telegraph claimed that we’re lining-up an offer in excess of €25m (£19m).
Gundogan is out of contract in just over a year and has so far refused to sign an extensions, so it seems likely Dortmund are going to have to cash-in or risk losing him for nothing in 2016.
Can they afford to reject over €25m for a player that may walk away for nothing 12 months later? I doubt it, so unless a new deal is signed soon, Gundogan should be on his way this summer.
I am a fan of his but my preferred option would still be Morgan Schneiderlin, while I’d also take Geoffrey Kondogbia over the German – with reports recently also linking us with the Monaco man.
All three would cost roughly £20m so Gundogan would be my third choice, but we’ll have to see what the boss decides to do. Schneiderlin still seems the most likely to arrive in my opinion.