- Preview: Sunderland v Arsenal, duo ruled out, Ox starts + prediction
- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
Arsenal Eyeing Move For Mexican International – Report
It’s been a busy day of transfer gossip and the latest rumour is that Arsenal are lining-up a move for out-of-favour Malaga goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa.
Speculation in the newspapers suggests that Arsene Wenger wants to sign a new number one this summer after losing faith with Wojciech Szczesny.
We brought you the news earlier that one paper believes he’s going to make a move for £25m-rated German youngster Bernd Leno. However, the Express claim that Arsene has also short-listed Mexican international Guillermo Ochoa.
The 29-year-old joined Malaga last summer after impressing at the World Cup in Brazil but he’s struggled for game-time this season, only featuring in the Copa del Rey.
Ochoa was strongly tipped to leave during the January transfer window but was forced to stay after sporting director Mario Armando Husillos said he wouldn’t be sold.
“He [Ochoa] is going to stay in Malaga, there is only a little time left [in the transfer window] and I just don’t see us getting any kind of great offer nor do I see us contemplating it.
“I think he will be here, we are not going to get into any problems. In football, what you have leftover from today is never enough for tomorrow, things can change radically.”
However, the Express claim Ochoa has now handed in a transfer request and will demand to leave this summer, with Arsenal reportedly among the clubs interested in offering him a fresh start.
Ochoa was decent enough at the World Cup but is he ‘Arsenal quality’? I would only see him as a No.2 to be honest and I’d be disappointed if Arsene did bring him in this summer as I feel both Ospina and Szczesny are better keepers.
I think Arsene will use the next few months to assess his goalkeeping options and if Ospina or Szczesny fail to make the first team shirt their own, then we may look to bring in a new No.1 this summer.
But if the boss does want a new goalkeeper at the end of the season, then we should be aiming higher than signing Malaga’s second choice keeper.