- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal NOT Interested In Fabregas Paving The Way For Man Utd Move
The big news on Monday was that Manchester United had tabled a £26m bid for former Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas, and many Gooners were left wondering if we’d respond by making a move ourselves.
With a £25m buy-back clause inserted into the players contract when we sold him in 2011, we would have first refusal if Cesc was available this summer and most would expect us to be front of the queue if Barcelona ever decided to sell.
However, according to the Daily Star, Arsene Wenger is NOT interested in re-signing the midfielder and has cleared the way for rivals United to bring the Spaniard back to the Premier League, if they can agree a deal with Barcelona.
The newspaper claims we’ve also got a 50% sell-on clause and suggests Wenger is happy to pick up a percentage of the fee United would pay as he has no intention of competing for Fabregas’s signature. Now I’ve heard differing reports regarding the sell-on clause, with other newspapers suggesting we only get 50% of anything over the price Barca paid us (around £30m), so you’ll have to make up your own decision on what to believe here.
But if the Star’s report is accurate and we’re not interested in re-signing Cesc, it would be staggering. Personally I really don’t see Wenger passing up the opportunity to at least try and lure Fabregas back. He was so reluctant to sell him in the first place and practically begged him to stay for another year before he eventually left in 2011, so it would make no sense if was to allow him to join a main rival and reject the chance to sign him for just £25m.
So despite what the Daily Star is reporting, I don’t believe a word of it. If Barca want to sell I think we will most certainly be interested and the only club I think he’ll join is Arsenal. But that’s just my opinion, the only opinion that really matters is that of Fabregas. Does he really ‘love’ Arsenal as he claims, we might just find out this summer…
Check out more Arsenal Transfer News
Do you think Arsenal will be interested in re-signing Cesc? Would he choose us over United?