- Arsenal hand transfer boost for Barcelona’s Marc Casado
- Arsenal tracking Polish winger Oskar Pietuszewski
- Arsenal eye move for Midtjylland striker Franculino Djú
- Arsenal interested in signing Valentino Livramento
- Pundit heaps praise on Arsenal star Mikel Merino
- Arsenal show interest in Roma defender Zeki Celik
- Arsenal linked with move for Bayern star Michael Olise
- Arsenal remain keen on signing Rennes’ Jeremy Jacquet
- Arsenal linked with move for Assan Ouédraogo
- Arsenal register interest in signing Rodrigo Mendoza
Reflections on Milan and Wenger Addresses “Cesc-gate”
[vodpod id=Video.4141410&w=425&h=350&fv=]
So, just a few thoughts on the Milan match…
Nasri continues to shine in the middle of the park. So far this summer we’ve seen him create and score goals, play high and deep, and generally show consistent creativity. He looks a much different, much better player than when he arrived two summers ago. At the moment, if there need be such a thing, he looks every bit the heir-apparent to Cesc.
Koscielny put in the most reassuring performance of the day. He showed intelligence with good positioning and timing, something necessary to overcome his sleight frame. I still don’t know if he’s first XI material right now, but he seems able to do at least do a job for us.

I also have to single out Wilshere and Frimpong. I could say the same thing about Wilshere’s performances this summer as Nasri’s. Arsene said in the press conference afterward that Wilshere stands to play some games this season. Frimpong was maybe the victim of overzealous officiating but showed he has the motor and tried to show he has the aggressiveness to be a suitable backup for Song.
Finaly, in what has been our most extended look at Chamakh, I have to say I was impressed. He seems more a fit with the side than I had previously thought. His drag-back, back heel to Arshavin was brilliant and his goal was extremely well-taken.
All in all, I think we put on a good display for the first 75 minutes. After that, subs changed around the formation, finding Djourou at defensive midfield, and Milan finally put together some real pressure. The defending on the free-kick is less upsetting than familiar, which makes it downright disturbing. Still, for me, there was more to be positive about on the pitch than negative.
In the press conference following the match, Arsene once again was forced to address questions about “Cesc-gate.” In what were his most forceful statements yet, Arsene said that only Cesc could clear the air and stop the inquest upon his return on Thursday. He then said that Barca had “given up for some time.”
That statement makes me wonder whether he means that they had given up some time ago or for some time. The latter doesn’t seem too unlikely considering Wenger keeps speaking about the five years Cesc has remaining on his contract. When asked if he believed Barcelona “had a case to answer for” due to their conduct this summer, the Boss said, “Yes.” It is obvious that Wenger is resolute in keeping Cesc even beyond this season and that he is disgusted with the behavior of Barca’s players in the media especially Carlos Puyol, whom he singled out during the press conference.









2 Comments