- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
Arsenal ready to wrap-up £8.7m deal to sign French defender
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal are expected to wrap-up an £8.7m deal to sign Eibar defender Florian Lejeune this summer.
The 25-year-old has been well travelled so far in his career having spent time with Agde, Istres, Villarreal, Brest and Girona while he was also on Manchester City’s books before joining Eibar last summer.
The centre-back looks to have finally settled and has been in hugely impressive form in Spain to help Eibar become one of La Liga’s surprise packages with the minnows currently sitting eighth in the league.
It appears Arsenal scouts have identified Lejeune as a possible new recruit as the Mirror are citing a report originating from Marca that claims we’re lining-up a bid for the defender this summer.
The newspaper says that Arsenal will trigger Lejeune’s buy-out clause by tabling a bid worth £8.7m and are expected to wrap-up his signature at the end of the season.
This rumours has come from nowhere and usually I’d say it was nothing more than paper-talk, however, the story comes from Marca and they are one of the more reputable Spanish newspapers so this speculation may have some foundation to it.
Personally, I’m not expecting a central defender to be a top priority this summer as we have Laurent Koscielny and Shkodran Mustafi as our first choice pairing with the likes of Rob Holding, Gabriel, Per Mertesacker and Calum Chambers all offering support.
So if we are going to sign Lejeune then I expect at least one of our current centre-backs will leave the club this summer but much will depend on who’s in charge with Arsene Wenger’s future in serious doubt.