- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal open talks over possible £7.7m deal to sign Douglas Santos
According to the Daily Star, Arsenal have opened talks with Atletico Mineiro over a potential £7.7m deal to sign Brazilian defender Douglas Santos this summer.
Arsene Wenger is understood to be in the market for another left-back as Kieran Gibbs is expected to leave the club this summer in search of regular first team football after losing his place to Nacho Monreal.
We’ve been strongly linked with Switzerland international Ricardo Rodriguez in recent weeks but no progress appears to have been made on that deal so it looks as though the boss is looking in to alternative targets.
The Daily Star are citing reports coming from Brazil that claim Arsenal officials have now made contact with Atletico Mineiro to discuss a potential deal to sign Douglas Santos.
The 22-year-old only joined Mineiro last summer in a deal worth £2.3m from Udinese and he enjoyed an excellent season back in his homeland while he also recently earned his first senior cap for the Brazilian national team during a 2-0 win over Panama.
However, it looks as though Santos could be on the move again this summer as the Daily Star claim Mineiro are ready to cash-in if someone meets their £7.7m asking price.
It remains to be seen whether Wenger will be prepared to pay that sort of money for the defender but Arsenal aren’t the only team reportedly interested as the newspaper suggests that Barcelona and Valencia are also showing an interest.
I’m sure many of you will remember Arsenal used to have a Brazilian left-back named Santos in the squad but hopefully Douglas will be a lot more successful than Andre if he does end up joining the club.
I personally think it’s a risky signing and would prefer we well all-out for Rodriguez this summer. He looks to be a real talent and would be a natural successor to Monreal, but we’ll have to wait and see what Arsene decides to do.
I think the boss will wait to resolve Gibbs’ future before he makes any move for a replacement so we might have to wait a few more weeks before there is any movement.