- “It’s possible” – World class Arsenal target drops hint over move
- Confirmed: FA announce key Arsenal star has signed new contract
- [Photo] Banner of Alexis Sanchez’s dogs installed at Emirates
- Key man returns, Giroud out: My Arsenal XI vs Burnley
- Key update on Arsenal’s pursuit of Serie A star, £36m deal agreed
- Wenger speaks out on reported interest in world class attacker
- Arsenal in talks over signing of Ligue 1 attacker
- Arsenal boss confirms star has signed deal until 2018
- Arsenal boss confirms quadruple injury boost but attacker ruled out
- Midfield ‘hardman’ reveals reason behind failed Arsenal move
Arsenal ‘leading chase’ to sign Gotze amid reports of £27m bid
According to reports in Spain via the Daily Star, Arsenal are leading the race to sign out-of-favour Bayern Munich playmaker Mario Gotze this summer amid speculation we’re lining-up a £27m bid.
Gotze is expected to leave Bayern this summer as he’s struggled to establish himself at the club following his controversial move from Borussia Dortmund in 2013 with the player making just 11 league starts last season.
The German international has indicated he’d be willing to remain at the Allianz and fight for his future under new boss Carlo Ancelotti, however, Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge recently suggested that Gotze should consider a move as he’s unlikely to be a regular next season.
“He knows what the club thinks and what the new coach thinks. Mario has to evaluate for himself whether he wants to play constantly.” Rummenigge is quoted as saying by the Star
The uncertainty has led to speculation that Gotze could be heading to the Premier League and the Daily Star are citing reports from Mundo Deportivo that claim Arsenal are leading the chase to sign the German international.
The Spanish outlet even suggests that Bayern are so desperate to get Gotze’s wages off their books, they are ready to cut him from their Champions League squad for next season in order to force him out the door.
I can’t imagine things are that bad that Bayern would take such action on a player that won Germany the World Cup not so long ago, but it’s certainly positive news that they are keen to sell Gotze as it means we should be able to get him at a decent price.
These reports come shortly after the Sun claimed that Arsenal are ready to table a formal £27m bid for the 24-year-old attacker and I think the Bundesliga champions would give that kind of offer serious consideration.
With our pursuit of Henrikh Mkhitaryan looking increasingly difficult following his agents comments claiming the player wants to join Man Utd, it looks like Wenger has turned his attention to Gotze and I think he’d be an excellent signing.
We need to bring in another attacker as Theo Walcott is expected to leave this summer and Gotze would form a devastating attacking trio alongside Ozil and Sanchez if he was to join the club. All we’d need is a world class striker to convert the chances they’d create….