- Preview: Sunderland v Arsenal, duo ruled out, Ox starts + prediction
- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
Arsenal submit formal offer for world class attacker – report
According to a report in Squaka, Arsenal have tabled a formal offer for £20m-rated Borussia Dortmund midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan.
The Armenian international’s has been strongly linked with a move to the Premier League this summer with Arsenal one of several names to be credited with an interest in the attacker.
Mkhitaryan has just one year remaining on his contract and Dortmund confirmed yesterday that he’d decided against signing an extension after negotiations over a new deal broke down.
There has been talk that the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea are also keen on the player [source: Express] but it looks as though we’re in pole position to secure any deal as Squaka claim that Arsenal are the only club to have submitted a formal offer so far.
The news outlet doesn’t divulge how much we’ve supposedly put on the table but they do suggest that Mkhitaryan is valued at around £20m due to his contract status.
However, any potential deal isn’t going to be easy as Dortmund are adamant they will hold the Armenian to the final year of his deal and risk losing him for nothing in 12 months time – although I think the German club may be playing games as it would be a bold move to force Mkhitaryan to stay with 12 months left on his deal.
Chief executive Hanz-Joachim Watzke is quoted as saying by the Guardian:
“We have been negotiating with Henrikh Mkhitaryan for four months for him to extend his contract with us.
“Now we know that it is not extended, it was never our commitment that Mkhitaryan may leave us prematurely.
We have intensely discussed the question of an early transfer in all club bodies and came to the conclusion that Mkhitaryan will stay in Dortmund next season.”
There are also rumours flying around that the playmaker would prefer a move to Man Utd but this speculation stems from a flippant comment from the players agent and Mkhitaryan has previously indicated he’s a huge Arsenal fans, so I can’t see him turning us – and Champions League football – down for United.
We’ll have to wait and see how this all develops but I’d love to see Mkhitaryan join Arsenal this summer as he’d be a world class addition to the squad and he’d bring a huge creative edge to the side having scored 23 goals and set up an incredible 32 assists last season.
Should we be lucky enough to sign Mkhitaryan, I think that would lead to Theo Walcott leaving the club as he’s already lost his place and the arrival of Mkhitaryan would see Theo fall further down the pecking order.