- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
- Team news: Arsenal duo ruled out but key quartet return for Swansea
- Arsenal doing battle with Spurs to sign German attacker – reports
Arsenal to hold talks with agent ahead of tabling defender bid
According to talkSPORT, Arsenal are looking to hold talks with the agent of Mateo Musacchio ahead of making a formal bid to Villarreal for the defender.
Arsene Wenger has been linked with a number of midfield and striker targets in recent weeks but a new centre-back is also thought to be a priority for the boss this summer.
It appears Arsene has identified Mateo Musacchio as a potential new recruit as talkSPORT are citing reports coming out of Italy that claim Arsenal have now joined the chase for the defender’s signature.
The report, which originates from Calcio Mercato, says that Roma have been leading the chase for the Argentinean international this summer but now Arsenal are looking to hold talks with the players agent ahead of making a bid for his services.
Muscacchio joined Villarreal from River Plate in 2009 and has developed in to one of the best central defenders in Spain with the 25-year-old recovering from a horrible leg injury to play a key role in helping the Yellow Submarine qualify for the Champions League next season.
The 6 foot defender still has two years left to run on his existing contract but Villarreal may decide to cash-in now as his value would drop considerably if he was allowed to run his contract down to it’s final 12 months next summer.
I certainly feel we need to bring in another centre-back over the coming weeks as familiar weaknesses in defence cost us once again this season and I personally don’t think Mertesacker or Gabriel have shown they are the answer to our problems.
Obviously Koscielny should be in the first team, and he’s set to be handed the captains armband if reports are accurate, but we need a reliable partner for our Frenchman and Muscacchio could be an interesting option if we could get a deal agreed with Villarreal.