- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
Wenger’s injury update: Walcott, Sanchez, Cazorla, Koscielny & more
Arsene Wenger has given an update on the fitness of Laurent Koscielny, Theo Walcott, Kieran Gibbs, Alexis Sanchez, Sanit Cazorla and Mikel Arteta ahead of our clash with Sunderland this weekend.
The boss finally had some positive news to bring us after confirming that Koscielny, Walcott and Gibbs could all be available to face the Black Cats this weekend.
Kos picked up a hip problem against Norwich last week but it appears he could be set for a swift return to action as he’ll face a late fitness test prior to the game on Saturday.
Gibbs is also set to return quickly from a minor calf injury that ruled him out of the trip to Carrow Road while Theo is finally set to return to the squad after over five weeks out with his own calf problem.
Walcott’s return is well timed as it coincides with Sanchez being ruled out with a hamstring concern. The Chilean international suffered the injury against Norwich and the papers believe he’s been ruled out for around three weeks, but Arsene insists they don’t yet know how bad the injury is.
It’s the same story for Cazorla as despite reports in the press claiming the Spaniard has damaged knee ligaments and will miss at least three months, Wenger says he still doesn’t know how long the midfielder will be out for.
The final word was on Arteta and the boss also isn’t sure how long the ‘skipper’ will be out with his latest calf injury.
He told Arsenal.com today:
Arsène Wenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of Saturday’s Premier League game against Sunderland:
on the team news…
We will make a decision on Saturday on Koscielny and Walcott, they could both make the squad. Gibbs is available again for the weekend.
on Alexis, Cazorla and Arteta…
At the moment on Alexis, Santi and Mikel, we don’t know how long they will be out for.
So it’s mixed injury news. Hopefully Kos and Theo will join Gibbs in the squad but I wouldn’t risk either of them from the start – not with our crucial Champions League game coming up next week. [Check out my preferred line-up versus Sunderland here].
As for Sanchez and Cazorla. Fingers crossed Alexis is back in time for the Man City game on the 21st but I’d be surprised if we saw Sanit again before March.