- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
Arsenal Dealt Blow As Midfielder Picks Up Fresh Injury
Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta has seen his pre-season preparations disrupted after picking up yet another calf injury, according to the Express.
The Spaniard returned to training last week and was hoping to get a solid pre-season under his belt ahead of the new campaign after missing the last six months through injury.
However, Arteta didn’t feature during our 4-0 victory over a Singapore Select XI yesterday and the Express say it was because he suffered a fresh calf injury in training.
The 33-year-old picked up a calf problem during our Champions League group-stage win over Borussia Dortmund way back in November and a series of set-backs meant he didn’t play again for the rest of the season.
It’s not clear how serious the latest injury is but it’s not thought to be related to his previous one, so it appears he’s suffered a fresh knock which will come as a major blow to the midfielder.
I said a couple of months ago that Mikel couldn’t be relied to play regularly this coming season as he’s troubled by chronic calf problems and I think that’s already been made clear.
If Arsene is no longer planning on signing another holding midfielder and hopes Arteta and Flamini can be our back-up to Coquelin, it will be a HUGE mistake in my opinion.
Flamini is simply not good enough and Arteta’s legs are shot, so our priority should be to bring in a top class defensive midfielder to compete with Le Coq. We’ve already missed out on Schneiderlin, Vidal is off to Bayern and Carvalho is now out for 3 months, so options are running out.