- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
“Joining Arsenal Would Be Great For Wayne Rooney”, Claims Gunners Supremo
Arsenal shareholder Alisher Usmanov claims a move to Arsenal would be ‘great’ for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney.
The27-year-old’s future was thrown into doubt at the end of last season when then Man Utd boss Sir Alex Ferguson revealed that Rooney had asked to leave the club after being left out of several key games during the course of the run-in.
United are believed to have rejected his request but some reports have suggested the champions would be prepared to cash in this summer with Arsenal touted as a surprise destination, and now Usmanov has now claimed a move to the Emirates would benefit the England forward.
‘He is a great player and [joining Arsenal] would be great for Rooney, and Arsenal too.’ Uzmanov said
It’s no secret Arsene Wenger is an admirer of Rooney’s, but being a fan and being able to sign him are two completely different things. The boss is believed to have around £70m at his disposal this summer so he could theoretically afford to buy Rooney, but A) would he be prepared to spend a large chunk of his budget on one player, B) would Rooney want to come to Arsenal and C) if he did, could we afford his wages?
Rooney is used to winning trophies on a regular basis at Old Trafford so it would be a hard transition to go from that to a team that hasn’t lifted any silverware in eight long years. He’s also reported to be on about £250,000-a-week at United and there’s no way we’ll pay that, so he’d have to take a large pay-cut if he want’s to join Arsenal.
Does he seem the sort of bloke who’ll take a pay cut? Baring in mind he handed in a transfer request and threatened to join Man City two seasons ago just to force United into paying him £250,000-a-week, I think not. Plus, if he is available teams with a lot more money than us (the likes of Monaco, PSG and even Chelsea) will most likely be in the running, so sorry Mr Uzmanov, I really don’t see Rooney in the famous Red & White next season.
Anyway, we’re closing in on Gonzalo Higuain, so who needs Shrek?!
Check out more Arsenal Transfer News
Do you think there is any chance of Arsenal signing Rooney? Would you even want him?