- Arsenal boss lining-up big-money offer for Serie A hitman
- Arsenal star commits future to club after agreeing new contract
- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
Arsenal tipped to launch surprise deadline day bid for Aubameyang
A German football expert has been quoted in the Daily Star as saying that Arsenal could yet make a sensational late attempt to sign Borussia Dortmund’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Arsene Wenger had been trying to sign a top class striker all summer with the likes of Antoine Griezmann, Robert Lewandowski and Aubameyang among the names linked at various points in recent months.
It looked as though we had given up all hope of signing a worldy and ‘settled’ on bringing in a lower level striker after sealing the £17m purchase of Lucas Perez from Deportivo La Coruna on Tuesday.
However, could Wenger still be eyeing a sensational swoop for one of his prime targets? German football expert Lee Price seems to think so as he’s been quoted as saying that there is a ‘genuine chance’ Arsenal could yet launch a big-money move on deadline day.
The likes of Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City have also been credited with an interest while Aubameyang has also been linked with a move to Real Madrid but Price feels the Gabon international could opt for a move to the Premier League due to the competition he’d face at the Bernabeu.
He told the Daily Star:
“Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang would be a huge loss to the Bundesliga – not just Dortmund.
“Chelsea and Arsenal are known admirers – and you can’t rule out a late bid from one of those two over the next 24 hours. There’s a genuine chance it could happen.
“Arsenal have brought in Lucas Perez but Aubameyang is a step up from that.
“Manchester United and City have also kept an eye out but the player’s heart is set on La Liga.
“That said, question marks have to be raised over where he would it in around Real Madrid’s famous BBC frontline.
“The Gabonese goal-getter might conclude he’s better off coming to the Premier League first.”
Obviously Aubameyang would be a dream signing and he’s the kind of striker fans have been praying for all summer. He’d be a major coup IF could somehow get a deal agreed.
However, I don’t think there’s any hope of that happening and I’m not for one second expecting us to launch a late move for the 27-year-old – despite what this German football expert is saying.
I think we all know that our business is done following the signings of Mustafi and Lucas, and Wenger is now concentrating on outgoings with Wilshere and Gnabry set to leave today.