- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
Mustafi arrives in London amid rumours of £25m Arsenal move
Shkodran Mustafi has flown-in to London to meet up with the Valencia squad amid reports that he could be heading to Arsenal in a £25m deal this summer.
Arsene Wenger has confirmed his intention to sign a new central defender before the start of the new season after losing Per Mertesacker for five months with a serious knee injury.
Mustafi has emerged as a prime target in recent days with the Mirror one of several media outlets who reported over the weekend that Wenger is keen on signing the German international.
The newspaper claims that Mustafi is interested in making a move to the Emirates while Valencia are understood to be willing to do business at around £25m – despite the 24-year-old’s buyout clause being set at £42m.
When quizzed about his interest in the German defender after Arsenal’s friendly win over Chivas last night, Arsene refused to rule out a move for Mustafi. The boss is quoted as saying by Arsenal.com:
We have not closed any deal with anybody at the moment. That’s the answer. You speak about Mustafi. Is it Mustafi or anybody else – we haven’t concluded anything at the moment.
Coincidentally, Valencia are due to play two pre-season friendlies in London this coming week as they take on Bournemouth on August 3rd before facing Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park three days later.
According to reports, Mustafi flew in to Gatwick Airport with two of his Valencia team mates [Siqueira and Bakkali] on Monday and the centre-back joked with a customs officer about the possibility of him joining Arsenal.
With the player and Valencia officials set to be in London for the next week, you’d think this is the ideal time to get a deal thrashed out if we want to sign Mustafi this summer.
There is little doubt we need a new defender now that Mertesacker is out and Mustafi would be a solid addition as he’s developed in to a fine centre-back during his two years at Valencia while he’s also regular in Joachim Low’s German squad.
The 24-year-old is a good age and he’s also capable of playing at right-back if required, so I think he’d be a great signing and this looks likely to be a key few days in our pursuit of the player.