- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Club want £30m for attacker after Arsenal table opening £25m offer
According to a report in the Daily Star, Leicester City will demand £30m for Arsenal target Riyad Mahrez should the attacker reject an improved contract worth £100,000-a-week.
Mahrez was one of Leicester’s star players last season with his 17 goals and 10 assists helping to fire them to an unlikely Premier League title which landed him the PFA Player of the Year award.
Arsenal have been strongly linked with a move for the 25-year-old in recent weeks with Sky Sports Italia journalist Tancredi Palmeri claiming last week that we’d tabled an opening £25m offer.
The likes of Manchester United and Barcelona have also been credited with an interest and this led to Mahrez admitting that he was flattered to be linked with such clubs and refused to rule out a move.
When asked about reported interest from Arsenal, United and Barca, Mahrez is quoted by the Mirror as saying:
“It is flattering to hear, as I said nothing is agreed, nothing is done,”
“We will see… For the moment I have not made a decision. We will see. It is possible that I stay, it is possible that I leave. We will see.”
It looks like Leicester have acted swiftly to try and persuade Mahrez to snub interest from the likes of Arsenal and remain at the King Power as the Daily Star are reporting that the Foxes have offered him a new deal worth £100,000-a-week.
Should the Algerian international turn it down, the newspaper suggests that Leicester will reluctantly sell. However, it looks like we’ll have to dig a little deeper if we want to land Mahrez as it’s reported that the champions will demand £30m for his signature.
Fair play to Leicester for trying there best to keep hold of him, and it might work, but I have a feeling Mahrez will leave this summer. He’ll be able to get at least £100,000-a-week at Arsenal or United so I think we’ll see him move later in the window if a club is willing to meet their reported £30m asking price.
That’s just £5m more than we’re believed to have offered and let’s be honest, Mahrez is worth £30m in today’s over-inflated transfer market, and I hope we’re willing to go that extra mile to land him as he’d be a superb addition.
If we can sign Mahrez, I think we’ll see Theo Walcott leave as he lost his place in Wenger’s team last season and the Algerian will just push him further down the pecking order.