- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal preparing bid after holding talks over defender signing
According to reports today, Arsenal are preparing a bid for Medhi Benatia after holding formal talks with Bayern Munich over a potential deal for the centre-back.
We’re widely expected to announce the signing of Swiss midfielder Granit Xhaka any day now and it looks as though Arsene Wenger is already planning his next move in the transfer market.
The Daily Star are citing reports coming out of France that claim we’ve entered formal talks with Bayern Munich over a potential deal for centre-back Medhi Benatia.
Those talks must have gone well as RMC Sport state that Arsenal are now expected to submit an opening offer for the Moroccan international this week as we look to fend off interest from rivals Chelsea and Man Utd.
Benatia joined Bayern from Roma two years ago but his time in Germany hasn’t gone according to plan as he’s struggled with a succession of injury problems that have restricted him to making just 29 Bundesliga appearances.
The 29-year-old recently described the last two years as the worst of his career and suggested that he’ll happily leave the Allianz Arena if Bayern make it clear they are willing to sell.
“Here in Munich I have experienced the two most difficult years in my career.”
“I don’t wish what has happened to me on anyone. I want to be part of the team.”
“The coach trusts you, but you are always injured and this isn’t easy. I can’t explain why I am injured that often.”
“I have three years contract left in Munich. If Bayern want me to leave – no problem. If they want me to stay – I will stay.”
Benatia is quoted as saying by the Daily Star
With Mats Hummels set to join Bayern from Borussia Dortmund this summer, Benatia will fall further down the pecking order so a move could be on the cards and it looks as though Arsenal are showing a keen interest.
For me, a new centre-back should be a priority for Arsene as familiar problems at the back cost us dear last season and we need a strong presence alongside Laurent Koscielny at the back.
Benatia was outstanding at Udinese and Roma before he went to Bayern so if we could get him back fit and playing to the best of his ability, then he’d be a superb addition.
The problem is, he’s 29 and hasn’t been fit for two years, and the last thing we need is another player who spends more time in the treatment room than on the pitch, so I think it would be a huge risk signing Benatia this summer.