- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
Arsenal hope to sign £40m striker with £155k-a-week contract offer
A report in the Mirror today claims that Arsenal are ready to offer Alvaro Morata a huge £155,000-a-week contract to bring him to the Emirates in a potential £40m deal.
Arsene Wenger has already admitted that he’ll look to bring in another forward after losing Danny Welbeck for nine months due to a serious knee injury.
Morata is one of several names to be linked in recent weeks and it looks as though we’re now ready to formalise our interest by offering the Spanish international a huge contract.
The Mirror are reporting that Arsenal chiefs will look to fend off interest from the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd by tempting the 23-year-old with a lucrative contract offer worth £155,000-a-week.
Morata is currently on the books at Juventus having joined the club from Real Madrid in 2014 but the La Liga giants are expected to activate a buyback clause that they inserted in to the deal when he was sold two years ago and then sell the striker on at a profit.
The Mirror suggest that Madrid will demand a fee in the region of £40m for his signature, so it looks like it would be a HUGE outlay if we are to sign the young forward this summer.
No doubt Morata is a big talent but I’d personally be disappointed if we decided to spend that kind of money on him as I don’t think he’s an elite striker just yet. For £40m, I’d be expecting the finished article and Morata is nowhere near the prolific hitman we need.
He managed just 7 league goals for champions Juventus last season and he’s never even scored double figures in any league campaign throughout his career. Giroud got 16 in the Premier League this season and got hammered.
So if we’re going to spend circa £40m on a striker, I’d expect a 25+ goal a season man. Someone like Gonzalo Higuain, who got 36 Serie A goals for Napoli in the same league as Morata.