- Arsenal boss lining-up big-money offer for Serie A hitman
- Arsenal star commits future to club after agreeing new contract
- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
Arsenal make £38.7m striker bid as agent holds talks – reports
According to Italian journalist Tancredi Palmeri, Arsenal have submitted a huge £38.7m (€50m) offer for Spanish international striker Alvaro Morata.
Arsene Wenger has hinted he needs to dip in to the transfer market to bring in another front man after losing Danny Welbeck for the majority of next season with a serious knee injury and Morata has emerged as a prime target.
The Spanish hitman is currently on the books at Juventus but the Mirror reported over the weekend that Real Madrid have decided to activate a buyback option that they inserted in to his contract when they sold him to the Italians two years ago.
The La Liga giants then plan to sell Morata on at an immediate profit and the newspaper suggests that we are preparing a bumper contract for the 23-year-old worth around £155,000-a-week.
It appears things have started to move as well-known Italian journalist Tandredi Palmeri – who works with beIN Sports and Gazzetta dello Sport – claims that Arsenal have now tabled a £38.7m (€50m) bid directly to Madrid and they are considering the offer.
Here is Palmeri breaking the news on Twitter:
BOOM! Arsenal have made a bid of 50m€ for Morata. Real Madrid valuing what to do
— Tancredi Palmeri (@tancredipalmeri) May 23, 2016
Spanish outlet AS are also reporting that Morata’s agent has been in talks with Madrid officials today to confirm their intention to re-sign/sell him and they state that Arsenal are his most likely destination.
So this rumour is certainly hotting up and it looks like Arsene is prepared to spend BIG money on bringing Morata to the Emirates this summer.
However, I’m still not convinced it’s the right move for us. For that sort of money, I’d expect a proven goal-scorer who’ll get us 25+ a season. Morata only managed to score 7 Serie A goals for champions Juventus last season and has never hit double figures in any senior season in his career.
He’s a huge talent, no doubt about that, but I’m just concerned that we’re going to spend around £40m on a player that isn’t the prolific hitman we desperately need to turn us in to champions.
I’d much prefer we went all-out to sign someone far more proven like Higuain, Benzema or Aubameyang – who all hit over 25 goals last season. Let’s be honest, Giroud got 16 Premier League goals last season and was hammered. Can you imagine the criticism if he got 7 like Morata?