- Arsenal star to be given fitness check ahead of Man City clash
- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
Arsenal close to signing £30m star, announcement expected on July 1
According to the Daily Mail, Arsenal expect to complete a deal to sign £30m-rated Borussia Monchengladbach star Granit Xhaka but the announcement may be delayed until July 1st.
Our season has once again imploded but Arsene Wenger is expected to remain in charge for at least the final year of his contract, despite a growing number of fans calling for him to leave this summer.
It looks like the boss is already pressing ahead with his transfer plans as the Daily Mail claim we are now close to finalising a deal to sign Xhaka – who’s been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in recent months.
The newspaper says that Arsenal want to pay around £20m while Gladbach value the midfielder at nearer £30m but a compromise is expected to be found and all parties now expect the move to go through.
If a fee can be agreed, then Xhaka will become our first major signing of the summer, although the Daily Mail claim that the official announcement will be delayed until July 1st when the German transfer window opens.
With Mathieu Flamini, Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta all set to leave in June, we need to bring in at least one midfielder this summer and Xhaka looks like he’s the man Wenger wants.
The Swiss international is a specialist holding midfielder and would give us real depth in the middle of the park and provide competition to Francis Coquelin and Mohamed Elneny next season.
At 23, he’s a great age and he’s known for his great passing range as well as possessing excellent leadership skills – which is something we’ve lacked for many years – so he sounds like he’d be a great addition to the squad.
While some fans might not be too impressed if Arsene does stay on as manager beyond this season, at least a big-money signing would put a few smiles back on people’s faces this summer.