- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Arsenal ‘In Talks’ Over Deal For €20m Midfielder – Reports
Arsenal have opened talks with Newcastle United over a potential deal for €20m-rated midfielder Moussa Sissoko, according to L’Equipe.
We’ve been strongly linked with Sissoko in recent weeks with Arsene Wenger believed to have identified the versatile Frenchman as the man to shore up our midfield with the likes of Ramsey, Wilshere and Arteta all spending lengthy spells on the sidelines during the first half of the season.
It appears we’ve now made our move as French-based newspaper, L’Equipe, are reporting that we’ve opened talks over a potential January deal, but Newcastle value the 25-year-old at around €20m (£15.5m).
Reports last month suggested that Arsene was prepared to match that price, but the Independent claimed recently that our opening offer would only be in the region of £9m.
There’s no way Newcastle would accept that kind of money and I just hope this doesn’t turn out like the Yohan Cabaye situation did last year, where we put in a pitiful £10m opening offer before eventually seeing him join PSG for £20m.
The Geordies are under no pressure to sell Sissoko as he’s contracted until 2019, so if we really want him we need to table a serious offer of at least £12m.
The player would jump at the chance of joining us. He admitted as much last month when he said he wanted to play in the Champions League and revealed that he’s a life-long Gooner:
“I have ambition. My goal is to play at the best clubs, playing the Champions League, win trophies, but today I am a Magpie and I am very happy.”
“Arsenal were my favourite club when I was young and my idol was Patrick Vieira. I have always loved this club and I still love them.” Sissoko is quoted as saying by the Mirror
Whether Sissoko is the ideal player we should be buying is open to debate. I personally think we need a ‘proper’ defensive midfielder, but there’s no doubt he’d be a useful player who’d be able to fill several roles, so I’d love to see him join the club this month.
Beggars cant be choosers and all that….