- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal Eyeing €5m French Midfielder
According to the Mirror, Arsene Wenger is eyeing a move for highly-rated French midfielder Jordan Veretout.
The 21-year-old was a key player in the French side that won the Under-20 World Cup where he starred alongside the likes of Paul Pogba and Geoffrey Kondogbia.
Veretout has risen through the youth ranks at Nantes and is currently enjoying his best season to date, with six goals and three assists to his name in Ligue 1 so far.
It appears his potential has alerted Arsenal with the Mirror claiming that Wenger is weighing-up making a move for the youngster this January.
Nantes are desperate to keep hold of Veretout but with a €5m (£4m) buy-out clause written into his contract, the French outfit may be powerless to stop him leaving if we matched that figure.
The boss has made it clear he’ll strengthen the squad if he can identify the right players next month with a centre-back and midfielder the priorities.
Most fans, myself included, are keen to see a specialist defensive midfielder brought in but it looks as though Arsene may have other ideas.
Veretout is more of a box-to-box midfielder in the mould of Aaron Ramsey, not a destroyer like Nemanja Matic. He is capable of playing in a deep holding role and can handle himself, but he likes to be given the freedom to get forward too.
I personally feel with the likes of Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain already in the squad, we have enough all-round midfielders and we MUST sign a proper defensive-minded midfielder in January.
Veretout sounds like he has a bright future ahead of him but he’s just too similar to what we’ve already got, so I hope Arsene moves on to other targets next month.