- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
Arsenal ‘Favourites’ To Sign Chelsea Outcast But Suffer Destro Blow
Arsenal are leading the chase to sign Chelsea outcast Demba Ba but have suffered a blow in their pursuit of Roma striker Mattia Destro, according to reports today.
It’s been widely acknowledged that we’re in the market for a striker this month following injuries to Nicklas Bendtner and Theo Walcott, and a whole host of names have been linked with a move to the Emirates.
The latest was Roma youngster Destro with reports over the weekend suggesting Arsene Wenger was keen to open talks over the potential signing of the 22-year-old – who is currently struggling for regular game-time as he’s behind Francesco Totti and Gervinho in the pecking order at the Stadio Olimpico.
However, the Daily Star are claiming today that the Serie A title-chasers are refusing to hold any form of negotiations over the highly-rated attacker and insist he’s not for sale.
So it looks as though a move for Destro is a no-goer, but one man who could be heading for north London is Chelsea miss-fit Demba Ba.
We were strongly linked with the Senegalese hitman in the summer and were understood to be close to agreeing a year-long loan deal before the move fell through at the 11th hour.
Ba is hardly getting any minutes at Chelsea this season and has been linked with a move again in January, and Arsenal have been installed as favourites to snap him up, with some bookmakers offering odds of just 2/1 that he’ll be a Gunner before the end of the month.
I’d personally like to see Ba join on loan as he’d be a useful alternative to Olivier Giroud and has plenty of Premier League experience, but while the bookies may have us down as favourites, I just can’t see it happening.
Why would Chelsea decide to strengthen one of their closest title rivals by loaning them a player? It just doesn’t make any sense. They could probably loan Ba to the likes of West Ham or Crystal Palace, so why would they give him to us and lessen their chances of winning the league?
SEE ALSO: Have Arsenal signed Paul-George Ntep?
Sure, Ba may prefer a move to Arsenal, and with good reason, but the club will have the final say so I’m not getting my hopes up that the 28-year-old will be moving to the Emirates any time soon.
I still think Real Madrid’s Alvaro Morata is the most likely to join this month, but we’ll have to wait and see what Arsene can do.