- Arsenal boss claims Sanchez will sign new deal + Ozil update
- Arsenal well positioned to secure £50m deal for 31-goal hitman
- Key duo recalled in 3-4-3: My Arsenal starting XI vs Leicester
- [Photos] Double injury boost as Arsenal duo train ahead of Leicester
- Arsenal battling to sign £33m Ligue 1 star
- Team news: Wenger offers injury update on Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Arsenal to make £20m bid for Bundesliga midfielder [Mirror]
- Leicester suffer triple injury blow ahead of Arsenal clash
- Arsenal star left Wembley on crutches following FA Cup win
- [Tweets & Photos] Ozil, The Ox & more celebrate on Twitter after beating City
Arsenal face fight with Liverpool to land £50m star
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal will face a tough fight with Liverpool over the signing of Lyon’s £50m hitman Alexandre Lacazette this summer.
Lacazette has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates over the past two years and the Mirror reported earlier this month that Arsene Wenger is lining-up a £50m swoop after failing to land the striker last summer.
The boss is under increasing pressure from fans to end his reign in north London following another frustrating campaign but reports suggest Arsene is ready to continue as manager and oversee a squad overhaul.
A new striker is needed as Alexis Sanchez has expressed his preference to play wide on the left while the Chilean international could also leave this summer after failing to agree terms over a contract extension.
Lacazette is seemingly our prime target with Wenger ready to renew his interest after watching the French international plunder 31 goals for Lyon this season.
However, it looks like we’ll now face a battle with Liverpool as the Mirror are citing a report from RMC Sport that claims the Merseysiders have also identified the 25-year-old as a prime target.
Jurgen Klopp is on the look out for a top class striker and the newspaper says Liverpool will look to trump Arsenal to Lacazette’s signature with the lure of Champions League football [assuming they secure it, of course].
Obviously IF Liverpool end up finishing in the top four ahead of Arsenal then they’ll have an advantage in any negotiations but as we saw with United landing Ibrahimovic and Pogba last summer, Champions League football isn’t everything.
I’d still be confident Arsenal could entice Lacazette to north London ahead of Liverpool and if Wenger does end up staying it could actually work in our favour in the race for the striker. Arsene is hugely respected in France and no doubt Lacazette would love to play under him so that could be our trump card if we do miss out on the top four.