- Ozil & Sanchez out: My Arsenal XI to face Basel
- Arsenal drawn to face Preston in the 3rd round of the FA Cup
- Wenger’s team news: 1 player returns, 1 ruled out + Sanchez update
- [Photos] Triple injury boost for Arsenal as trio return to training
- [Player Ratings] Sanchez steals the show as Arsenal thrash West Ham
- Video: West Ham 1-5 Arsenal: Sanchez bags stunning hat trick
- Teams: West Ham v Arsenal: Xhaka & Gabriel start
- Man City duo Aguero & Fernandinho set to miss crucial Arsenal match
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains but no sign of striker ahead of West Ham
- [Video] Santi Cazorla confirms he’ll be back sooner than expected
Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
Arsene Wenger has been speaking at his pre-match press conference this morning ahead of Arsenal’s trip to Sunderland and he’s offered the latest team news.
Unfortunately the boss has confirmed that Lucas Perez is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines after suffering ankle ligament damage during our 2-0 win over Reading in the EFL Cup on Tuesday night.
The Spanish striker limped out of the game in the 72nd minute and some reports on Thursday suggested he had only been ruled out for around a month, however, Wenger has suggested Perez could be on the sidelines for up to 8 weeks.
It’s a huge blow, not only for the player but also for Arsenal as it leaves us lacking in options through the middle with Danny Welbeck and Chuba Akpom also out with long-term injuries.
Thankfully Olivier Giroud returned to action in midweek with a 20 minute cameo off the bench against Reading and the French international will be in the squad again this weekend.
In further good news, Arsene has confirmed that Aaron Ramsey will be back in the squad for the trip to the Stadium of Light after finally getting himself back to full fitness.
Ramsey hasn’t featured since picking up a hamstring injury on the opening weekend of the new season but has been back in full training in recent weeks and will now be in contention tomorrow.
However, after over two months on the sidelines, the Welsh international is expected to be named on the bench as Arsene is going to be cautious not to throw him straight back in to action too soon.
At Colney. Wenger: "We lost Perez for a while, ankle injury. He will be 6-8 weeks out."
— James Olley (@JamesOlley) October 28, 2016
More on Perez: "It is very frustrating because he worked very hard and now he is close, he is absolutely gutted. A stupid injury." #AFC
— Mark Mann-Bryans (@MarkyMBryans) October 28, 2016
So boss, what’s the latest on these two?
"We have Giroud available, Aaron Ramsey will be back in the squad"
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) October 28, 2016