- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
- Arsenal ready to snap-up Barca attacker for £25m [Times]
- Arsenal offer defender lucrative contract ahead of summer move
- Arsenal boss offers update on Sanchez & Ozil contract situations
- Arsenal suffer huge injury blow, star to miss crucial games
- International star responds to Arsenal move reports
- [Photos] Arsenal star trains despite ligament injury fears
Wenger confirms these two players will play vs MLS All-Stars
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed that big-money signing Granit Xhaka will feature during our pre-season friendly with an MLS All-Star XI on Thursday night.
Xhaka became our first major signing of the summer transfer window after we splashed out over £30m to sign him from Borussia Mönchengladbach back in June.
The Switzerland midfielder has been training with the club for the past week following his participation at the European Championships this summer and flew-out with the rest of the squad on Monday for our pre-season tour of the United States.
Fans will now get their first glimpse of Xhaka in action as Wenger confirmed at his pre-match press conference last night that the 23-year-old will play some part in our friendly against an MLS All-Star XI on Thursday night/Friday morning.
The boss admitted that Xhaka is still lacking in match fitness but will get some minutes under his belt as he looks to get back up to speed ahead of his debut season in the Premier League.
Another player who will feature tomorrow night is youngster Gedion Zelalem with Arsene confirming the 19-year-old will get a chance to impress as he looks to try and persuade the club he has what it takes to make it at Arsenal following his loan spell at Rangers.
We should also see latest signing Rob Holding in action as with Mertesacker ruled out for five months, we have limited options at centre-back so I’d expect to see the former Bolton youngster alongside Chambers tomorrow night.
Here is what Arsene told Arsenal.com:
He will play a part in the game. He is a bit short fitness-wise, because he just came back last week.
Wenger on Zelalem…
Last season he was on loan at Glasgow Rangers, where he did quite well. He is a player with top quality. He might take a bit longer to mature because he was physically a little bit behind on body structure but I’m sure he will be a great player. He [matured a bit slowly] physically but overall I’m convinced that he will make a great career. Will he play? Certainly a part of the game as well.