- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
Wenger confirms huge injury blow for Arsenal
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed a huge injury blow with the news that defender Per Mertesacker will be out for “a few months” with a knee injury.
News emerged on Monday evening claiming that Mertesacker was facing up to five months on the sidelines after suffering a knee problem during our 1-1 draw with Lens on Friday night.
The 31-year-old defender didn’t travel with the rest of the squad to the United States for our pre-season tour and the club had only stated that the centre-back was nursing a knee injury.
There was no official comment on how serious it was until now, as Arsene has just confirmed at his press conference in California that Per has been ruled out for ‘a few months’.
The news comes as a huge blow as we’re now down to the bare bones at the back for the start of the new season with Laurent Koscielny already set to miss at least the Liverpool game after returning late for pre-season due to his exploits at Euro 2016.
Gabriel is also on the treatment table with tonsillitis but he should be fit for the visit of Liverpool. Calum Chambers or new signing Rob Holding are in-line to partner the Brazilian.
Mertesacker’s injury piles the pressure on Arsene to dip in to the transfer market and I don’t think there is any doubt we need to sign a centre-back over the coming weeks.
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) July 26, 2016