- Arsenal handed huge boost ahead of Bayern Munich showdown
- Confirmed: Arsenal boss charged with misconduct by FA
- Arsenal eyeing £34.5m deal for Portuguese international
- Arsenal trio surprisingly named in BBC Team of the Week
- Arsene Wenger could be banned for Arsenal’s crucial trip to Chelsea
- Wenger criticises Arsenal star after poor display v Burnley
- [Video] Arsenal boss pushes official in tunnel following sending off
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Burnley: Xhaka flops, Sanchez shines
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Burnley: Last Gasp Sanchez panenka pen wins it
- Teams: Arsenal v Burnley: Bellerin on bench, Gabriel starts
Former captain linked with shock Arsenal return, wants London move
A quick look through the newspapers today shows us that Robin van Persie is being linked with a shock return to Arsenal this summer.
The Mirror are reporting that van Persie could be set for a move back to the Emirates four years after his acrimonious departure for Manchester United.
His current club, Fenerbache, are ready to let him leave this summer with the clubs president Azil Yildirim quoted by the newspaper as saying:
“Van Persie? We’re waiting for buyers, if he wants to be sold.”
The Mirror cite the Independent as their source so after heading over to their article it seems this whole transfer story stems from nothing more than conjecture and speculation.
The Independent also say that van Persie wants out of Turkey with the Premier League his preferred destination, and the striker supposedly wants to return to London where he spent eight happy years.
They go on to say that Crystal Palace and West Ham are both keen but the only reason they link Arsenal’s name with RvP is because they claim that after hearing of his availability, fans have been calling for Arsene Wenger to bring him back to the Emirates on social media.
I spend a lot of time on Twitter and I can honestly say I’ve not seen one ‘fan’ ask for van Persie to be re-signed so this whole story has been made up. And anyway, even if a few supporters had called for Arsene to move for RvP, that’s no basis for the newspapers to link him with a move.
But why on earth would anyone want that snake back at Arsenal? He forced a move to United, gloated when he got his way and then rubbed it in our face when he went on to win the title.
Not only that but he’s now almost 33, his legs are well and truly gone and he’s nowhere near the player he was back in 2012. No thanks. Not in a million years. I know we’re in desperate need of another striker this summer, but surely we’re not that desperate?!