- Arsenal contract talks update: Wilshere, The Ox, Ozil, Alexis & more
- Barcelona midfielder confirms approach from Arsenal
- Arsenal boss lining-up big-money offer for Serie A hitman
- Arsenal star commits future to club after agreeing new contract
- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
Striker wants move but Arsenal reluctant to pay £50m asking price
According to a report in the Mirror, Romelu Lukaku is keen to join Arsenal but Arsene Wenger is reluctant to meet Everton’s £50m asking price for the striker.
The boss is on the look-out for a new front-man after missing out on Jamie Vardy – who opted to remain at Leicester and sign a new deal last week – and Lukaku has emerged as a target.
The Daily Star carried a report last week that we’d opened talks with Everton over a potential deal to sign the Belgian international and Italian journalist Emanuele Giulianelli claimed over the weekend that Lukaku had agreed personal terms with Arsenal.
However, Giulianelli - who works for Italian outlet Gazzetta dello Sport among others – has now claimed that, despite the 23-year-old’s eagerness to move, any potential deal is unlikely after Everton told Arsenal they want £50m for Lukaku’s signature.
Giulianelli is quoted as saying by the Mirror:
“Arsenal aren’t too optimistic after hearing they’d have to pay £50m for Lukaku to Everton.
“Informal contact was made yesterday between Arsenal and Everton but in my opinion the deal won’t progress despite Lukaku wanting the move.”
If the Toffees are demanding £50m, then I think we’re right to walk away. Lukaku is a huge talent and showed he can be a prolific striker after scoring 25 goals for a poor Everton side last season. He is big, strong, fast, has experience in the Premier League and is an upgrade on Olivier Giroud.
However, he isn’t worth £50m, not even in today’s crazy market. Everton are obviously looking to squeeze everything they can out of a deal if they have to sell and they are under no pressure to sell on the cheap after being taken over by a billionaire businessman but we shouldn’t be overpaying for Lukaku.
Perhaps we should go to £40m, as the Belgian hitman has got the potential to be a real star, but anymore and I think we’ll see Wenger turn his attention to other targets.