- Arsenal ready to move for £40m Spaniard, Liverpool also keen
- Arsenal eye move for Czech Republic star – Coquelin replacement?
- Fixture change: Arsenal v Man Utd clash rescheduled for live TV
- Arsenal boss confirms key man has been ruled out for the season
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Cech, Sanchez, Ozil & Perez
- “I’m happy in London” – Sanchez offers huge update on Arsenal future
- Arsenal star to be given fitness check ahead of Man City clash
- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
Arsenal open talks over deal for 25-goal Belgian hitman
According to a report in the Daily Star, Arsenal have opened talks with Everton over a potential deal to sign Belgian international striker Romelu Lukaku this summer.
Arsene Wenger is needing to bring in another striker after Danny Welbeck was ruled out for much of next season with a knee injury and reports suggest our proposed £20m deal to sign Jamie Vardy is set to collapse.
The boss is now understood to be on the look out for alternative targets and the Daily Star are reporting that we’ve now made contact with Everton to discuss a potential deal for Lukaku.
The 23-year-old has just come off the back of his best season having scored 25 goals in all competitions for an Everton side that finished in the bottom half of the table last year, so you can certainly understand why Wenger is interested.
However, we aren’t the only club in the running as the newspaper claims that Chelsea are also keen on signing Lukaku as incoming boss Antonio Conte looks to find a partner for Diego Costa next season.
Everton are also desperate to keep hold of the striker and are reportedly ready to offer him a new deal but Lukaku has previously indicated his desire to leave and play for a top club, so we should be able to lure him away.
Plus, we should be favourites ahead of Chelsea as he was treated disgracefully during his time at Stamford Bridge and they have no European football to offer next season.
The main problem will be agreeing a fee as Everton have recently been taken over by a new billionaire owner so they are no longer the cash-strapped club they once were, and I think we’ll see them demanding upward of £45m-£50m for him.
Is Lukaku worth that sort of money? Probably not, but he is still 23 and has all the raw talent to become an absolute world beater. I still have slight concerns over his reliability in front of goal as he does tend to miss a lot of chances, like a certain Frenchman we all know, but I do think he’d be an upgrade on Giroud so would welcome him to the Emirates this summer.